The Research Computing and Data Capabilities Model allows institutions to assess their support for computationally- and data-intensive research, to identify potential areas for improvement, and to understand how the broader community views Research Computing and Data support. The Model was developed by a diverse group of institutions with a range of support models, in a collaboration among Internet2, CaRCC, and EDUCAUSE. This Assessment Tool is designed for use by a range of roles at each institution, from front-line support through campus leadership, and is intended to be inclusive across small and large, and public and private institutions.
Get access to the model by completing this Access Request Form. That will create an individualized copy of the v1.1 RCD CM Assessment tool for your institution. Then, read the Introduction and Guide to Use, and gather your team to complete the assessment. You can also check out slides and recordings from our previous webinars, workshops, etc.
To get help from the RCD CM working group, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or subscribe to the email@example.com discussion list (click here to join). Hear how other institutions are completing their assessment and using it as part of strategic planning. You can also get help by joining our RCD CM Office Hours.
Version 1.1 of the RCD Capabilities Model released!
May 13, 2021: Internet2, CaRCC, and EDUCAUSE are pleased to announce that there is a new version of the Research Computing and Data Capabilities Model (RCD CM) just in time for you to complete your Institutional assessment and contribute to the 2021 RCD CM Community Dataset! Read more about the new release.
2020 RCD CM Community Dataset report
The report describes the first Research Computing and Data Capabilities Model Community Dataset, aggregating the assessments of 41 Higher Education Institutions. Read more about the Community Dataset.
Upcoming events related to the Capabilities Model
- 2021 Office Hours announced! Come join the discussion, get help, and hear how others are using the Model.
- PEARC21 Workshop: Building a Strategic Plan for your Research Computing and Data Program. Monday July 19, 2021, 8:00am (PDT)
- PEARC21 Paper: “Assessing the Landscape of Research Computing and Data Support” (Conference event – requires registration); Video of presentation; Slides.
See also Previous RCD CM Events and Materials for recordings and slides of webinars, workshops, etc.
The Working Group has calls every second Wednesday at 11 AM (Pacific time). If you want to support the development of this Capabilities Model, please contact the co-Chairs Patrick Schmitz (Semper Cogito), Claire Mizumoto (UC San Diego), and Dana Brunson (Internet2) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read More about the Capabilities Model
- August People Network & RCD Community Calls
- Join the EPSCoR CI Working Group exploring CI/RCD access for emerging and under-funded institutions!
- CaRCC Activities at PEARC21
- July People Network/RCD Community Calls and RCD Survey
- New NSF award for Research Computing and Data Resource and Career Center