Do you lead a team of RCD professionals? Are you involved with the strategic planning for such a group? Are you interested in growing your leadership skills and/or your management and mentoring skills? Are you looking for good practices on budgets, finances, and how to communicate your group’s needs to senior leadership? Join your peers to discuss these topics and more on the Strategy and Policy-Facing Track of the People Network!
Some of the ideas we’d like to explore include the following (but we want to hear your ideas as well!)
- Updates from events and meetings of peer organizations for RCD leadership (e.g., CASC meetings, the EDUCAUSE conference, etc.)
- How do build a strong impact report for your program
- Mapping influence networks on your campus
- How to create compelling value propositions for your key stakeholders
- Where to go for management and leadership training
- How to share resources across centers? Issues finance, legal, and practical.
- Recharge models, pros and cons
- Models for IDF/Overhead distribution and implications for program funding
- Organizational models (where your team sits and who you report up to) and the implications for strategic planning
- How to speak to finance teams
- How to support regulated research and sensitive computing/data
- Your suggestions here!
Some of these topics overlap between this track and others, especially the Emerging Centers Track. We’re working with our peer track coordinators to explore how we can collaborate on these, possibly exploring the topics from different perspectives in our respective track meetings.
We connect via monthly calls (details below) and an email list: email@example.com.
Join Us! Fill out our membership form to let us know who you are and what you’re interested in. We’ll add you to this email list and other Tracks that you indicate.
Monthly calls are on the first Wednesday of the month, Noon ET/ 11am CT/ 10am MT/ 9am PT. Connection information and links to any materials are distributed via the Strategy and Policy-Facing email list.
November 2nd: Updates from CASC, EDUCAUSE, NSF Cybersecurity Summit.
This session will provide a community update on recent (external) meetings of interest – CASC, EDUCAUSE, and the TrustedCI / NSF Cybersecurity Summit. A number of our steering committee members will provide reports and answer questions.
Track Support and Coordination
The Strategy and Policy-Facing Track is supported by the combined efforts of our Steering Committee and two co-coordinators. Send questions or comments, feedback, call topic ideas, etc., to the coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Steering Committee Members:
Ann Kovalchick (UC Merced)
Carolyn Ellis (UC San Diego)
Claire Mizumoto (UC San Diego)
Jackie Milhans (Northwestern)
Jenn Schopf (TACC)
Jim Wilgenbusch (Minnesota Supercomputing Institute)
Preston Smith (Purdue)
Rich Knepper (Cornell)
Vessela Ensberg (UC Davis)