CaRCC Events @ PEARC20
Campus Research Computing Consortium
An organization of dedicated professionals developing, advocating for, and advancing campus Research IT and associated professions (think research computing & data).
Current focus areas include:
- People Network: year-round virtual conference, previous calls on YouTube CaRCC Channel, per track and network wide mailing list, as well as Slack.
- Data-Facing: Data management, publishing/sharing, data science, data viz, workflows, transfer and networks, & other topics.
- Emerging Centers: Support for smaller or developing research computing and data centers.
- Researcher-Facing: Consulting/facilitation, outreach, education/training, increasing communications & collaborations, RC tech, etc.
- Systems-Facing: Systems planning, engineering, security, optimization, middleware, virtualization, and cloud, among other topics.
- Working & Sustaining Groups: (Click here for details & links for the groups.)
- Decadal Survey: Aims to develop a decadal survey (akin to what has been done in astronomy and other fields) for research computing and data.
- Ecosystem: A workshop April 2019 to explore opportunities to socialize and ultimately sustain the larger CI and research computing and data ecosystem.
- Engagement: Working to increase the visibility of and participation in CaRCC’s s community-driven activities, especially to organizations and individuals that are underrepresented.
- Funding and Sponsorship: The Funding and Sponsorship working group aims to identify opportunities for private or foundational support for CaRCC’s operating costs.
- Professionalization: Develop new frameworks and approaches to guide conversations between HR leaders and Research Computing and Data leaders around attracting, retaining, diversifying, and developing research computing and data and cyberinfrastructure talent.
- Research Computing and Data Capabilities Model
- Stakeholders and Value Proposition
- The latest draft is here and open to input via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Starting Up a Working Group
- If you’re interested in starting a working group, check out our document.
- Also if you would like to join an existing working group contact the group leads and express your interest to participate!
Current products/resources include:
- Research Computing and Data Capabilities Model (January 2020): Start with the Capabilities Model Introduction and Guide to Use– which includes background as well as tips for using the model- and then follow the link to the access request form that will create a personalized copy of the Assessment Tool for your institution.
- A Research Computing and Data Capabilities Model for Strategic Decision-Making (Paper detailing the background, key concepts and features of the model, initial experience and lessons learned; February 2020).
- Fostering Collaboration Among Organizations in the Research Computing and Data Ecosystem (Paper that introduces the growing ecosystem of organizations that in some way support and enable activities related to research computing and data; February 2020).
- An HR Job Family Matrix specifically for RCD Professionals that can be used by a range of institutions to properly classify RCD Professional roles (July 2019) – Click here to get access.
- Research Computing and Data Professionals Job Elements and Career Guide (July 2019).
- Campus Research Computing and Data Stakeholders and Value Propositions (draft).
- A PDF of the first CaRCC Community Survey, April 2017 and Results.
- CaRCC YouTube Channel
- CaRCC Slack